My 'one on one' with Haiku writing started when when on a relatively warm day for January, it started snowing at school. That day I wrote this on the white board. Not accurately fitting the haiku profile, but it managed to generate a couple chuckles from my students.
Since then, I have been refining my craft :)
With the current online learning situation, motivating students and keeping them engaged has been the biggest hurdle for many of us in the teaching trenches. For the past three days, I have been trying to give some creative writing opportunities where the students are able to vent, express and reflect on the goings on in their surroundings as they cope with all the changes we have all been thrown into.My second and third day this week, the writing challenge was to write Haikus. Both scholars and staff were asked to participate. Here are some of the responses. Can you guess who wrote what?
I love these nuggets
thoughts profound, yet short and sweet,
messages so neat
From Scholars:
Days seem extra long
Trying to keep myself busy
I want to go out
I'm done for today
Like rain, I shall come again
But for now, we wait
Unpleasant the break
Work it kills my happiness
When does ever end
Handling Challenges Haikus
With a sincere heart
I must apologize for
My lack of action
For I have naught seen
Or have done any assignments
So I am sorry
The path I take while
In a journey so complex
Is a stubborn one
With a mind of steel
I tread to the engagement
Facing chastisement
I breathe and ponder
Comprehending my challenge
And I complete it
Noctilucent eve
A whole, hardworking brain roars
at new challenges
Damp wood, Cloudy Skies
The sun hiding behind clouds
Will I rise one day?
It's just through mistakes
I learned where I went wrong but,
I still come out strong
I still come out strong
Wearing my armour
I am ready for battle
Ready to conquer
I can use my strengths
The spirit of a dragon
Ready to conquer
Dear Corona:
Hearing what you do
Hurting people, harming them
Please just go away
Outbreak diseases
Why must you come for the world?
Disperse, Corona
To covid-19, you
Showed no remorse towards us
How do I go on?
You conquer the world
Will you ever stop spreading
Your powers are strong
From Teachers:
You are in my heart
You have known this from the start
Well wishes to you
Hallways are empty
Your minds are starting to roam
Please learn while at home
Sitting in the sun
Listening to the world fly
Grapes. Champagne. Oh my!
School not on my mind,
To my brain I’m being kind,
Sanity I’ll find.
My wife is home too,
Now so much I HAVE to do,
Dang Corona’s Flu!
Life like sleepless nights
Star gazing and wandering
Searching for sweet dreams
One day at a time
With no stress and no worries
Still blessed and thankful
Heart pounding quickly
Remembering your sweet face
Miss you so dearly
Masks and latex gloves,
Drive-thrus, no toilet paper,
‘Rona, is that you?
No comments:
Post a Comment