Wednesday, March 25, 2020

COVID-19 Social Distancing: How are you coping?

We have been out of school since last Monday, March 16, 2020. The scholars at our school had one week of distance learning and then the spring break started. I wanted to know how they are adapting to this homebound routine stacked on top of social distancing.  Here are some snippets from their thoughtful candid responses.

Some of them have figured out a way to stay with the positive.

"I am still making my days count by maintaining my regular school routine to help myself stay focused and not losing track of my goal to go to college. “As long as I see that time keeps ticking and doesn’t turn back that means that I have to keep moving forward. Days seem to be a little longer with staying at home all day. I remind myself that I could have a worse life, but my parents are doing everything they can to have me where I am and I should do the same to have a better life in the future." I have a bright future, I keep myself motivated, and not let myself get discouraged by the ongoing situation that is happening around us."
By waking up early and finishing my tasks ahead of time, I can have the rest of the day free to finish any other things I’ve wanted to do. I’ve decluttered my closet, and spending time with family is nice. Remembering that tomorrow is a new day and that the situation will get better eventually, gets me through the day. I’m adding value to myself by keeping my mind clear and staying active. I’m also adding value to my surroundings by appreciating what I have, and keeping them clean."

Others, are trying but having a harder time.

"I'm trying my best to make my days count. However, I've recently picked up the knack of not being able to sleep. I know it's probably because I'm always on my phone and all, but time seems so fake now that I basically have nothing to do. It's embarrassing, really, how all I get done in a day is a few lessons worth of homework and some other minor details. The only thing that's getting me through my day is the fact that eventually the virus has to calm down, and eventually we have to go back to school.

"I literally feel like I have no purpose. Now, I know it sounds stupid after only a week of not doing anything, but the uncertainty of it all is really unsettling. Everything is either cancelled or postponed and it feels like there's no end in sight. If anything, I feel like I'm losing value. So I'm stuck here with a whole lot of things but with nothing that feels exciting or motivating enough to do. I guess my sense of value is being able to live my everyday life and ace it as best as I can."

"I've been hanging out with my family. It's not like we didn't before Corona, but there's something different now. I love my family, so I hope that by being around them I can affect them positively. I feel older now, but I feel like this would all be so much more enjoyable without having to stay in. An opportunity like a full week without my mom or dad working seems like a dream, but we don't get to go out and have fun like I would've wanted."

" I've now realized I'm definitely not a homebody, and I cannot be left on my own. (I'll give you a hint: I messed with my hair…..) I'm looking forward to this being over and being back in school with my daily life. I feel like I'm going crazy, especially as an extrovert."



How are you coping with all the changes and uncertainty that is here to stay for a while? Please respond in the comments below. As for me, I will compile the results of the haiku challenge and post that next. 

STAY HOME AND STAY TUNED!



No comments:

Post a Comment